The Prince Street Pop-up Park enhances this downtown Lancaster street’s distinctive sense of place by adding green space and street food destinations to the mix of existing commercial and residential properties. A temporary installation, this park was created to energize an existing Lancaster City parking lot until its eventual redevelopment.
The Sehner-Ellicott-Von Hess House, built in 1780, is located directly across N. Prince Street from the Pop-up Park. Andrew Ellicott, a former owner, shaped Washington, D.C.’s street pattern which inspired designs for this park’s painted asphalt and faux turf ground plane.
Collaboration and partnership were essential to the park’s development and great success. The owners partnered with RGS to create the park concept, as well as 21 small businesses and one local non-profit to implement its design.
The park features salvaged, non-traditional materials such as recycled wooden pallets, painted asphalt, string lights, planted corrugated pipe remnants, and colorful furnishings. Combined with entrepreneurial park vendors, this creative assemblage of cost effective elements resulted in a temporary casual gathering space and popular green focal point within Lancaster City’s urban core.
2016 Smart Growth Leadership Award, Lancaster County Planning Commission